How To Become A Member
Those eligible for active membership are women no less than 16 years of age who are blood descendants, lineal or collateral, of men and women who served honorably in the Army, Navy or Civil Service of the Confederate States of America, or gave Material Aid to the Cause. Also eligible are those women who are lineal or collateral blood descendants of members or former members of UDC.
Admission to the Organization shall be by invitation through a UDC Chapter. If you are interested in becoming a member, please send your name, mailing address, and telephone number to:
Mrs. Dwight R. Wood, Jr.
UDC Memorial Bldg. Hdq.
328 North Blvd.
Richmond, VA 23220-4057
or if you would like to join the Jubal Early Chapter
, please contact:
Required Proof of Eligibility
Proof of ancestor's service to the Confederate States of America may be obtained, if available, upon request from one of the following sources:
Data from a tombstone is not acceptable as proof of military service but may be used as proof of birth and death dates. Proof of applicant's relation to Confederate ancestor must be established through birth, marriage, and death certificates.
- UDC HQ Business Office: From records of military service compiled from registered UDC applications and National Archives Compiled Confederate Service Records, upon request of UDC Chapter Registrar and payment of research fee (see Library Facilities and Research Options).
- Limited pension records are available from the UDC HQ Business Office for a fee (Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, South Carolina, and Tennessee) (see Library Facilities and Research Options).
- State Departments of Archives and History, Confederate Records, if certified.
- General Services Administration, National Archives and Records Service, 8th and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20408 (http://www.archives.gov/research_room/obtain_copies/veterans_service_records.html)
- An authoritative publication: Photocopy of title page, name of author, volume, page number, year of publication, location of library. Provide certified copy of pertinent data relating to Confederate ancestor only.
Dues are determined by Chapter Bylaws and usually include Division and General per capita fees.
Caroline Meriwether Goodlett
Anna Davenport Raines